Pasture-Based Livestock Farm InternshipCrane Dance Farm is a grass-based livestock farm nestled among the rolling hills, forests, and wet lands of beautiful Barry County. We raise 100% grassfed beef, Animal Welfare Approved pastured heirloom pork, poultry and eggs, emphasizing farming techniques that nurture the land, the animals, the humans and the planet. Every animal is the recipient of TLC 24/7. We direct market all of our products, thus our customer relationships are parallel in importance to our relationships with our animals.
What makes this opportunity unique?
- All of our cattle and pigs are bred, birthed, and finished on our farm.
- We source, grind, and mix local grains for our omnivores that are 100% GMO-free.
- We direct market all of our products through farmers markets, on farm sales, and online ordering.
- We were the first Michigan farm to be Animal Welfare Approved for pigs in 2009. Presently, we are one of only two farms in MI to hold this prestigious certification. Pending is our status as American Grassfed Association certified for beef.
- Daily attending to food, water, shelter, bedding, fences for all livestock
- Property maintenance and repairs
- Marketing assistance
- Participation in problem solving as situations arise
- Work outside in all kinds of weather
- Work efficiently alone and as part of a team
- Ability to lift 60 pounds repeatedly
- Aptitude in farming, building and mechanical skills
- Easy to work with, fast learner, sense of humor, heart for animals
- Housing, plus one shared meal a day; additional cooking facilities and foodstuffs available
- Weekly stipend with bonus at satisfactory completion of agreed duration
- Minimum length of stay 4 months; longer preferred; negotiable
- Willing to work with your college for internship credit
- Letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2014.
- Phone interview
- Working interview on farm